Friday, August 8, 2008

Introduction . . . research is not easy

After three long but engaging hours of f2f discussions with three of my supervisees in Tawau, I am convinced that all the email and telephone calls cannot replace a good 2-3 hour face-to-face session. These meetings between "supervisor" and "supervisee" are necessary for that much needed discussion on what to do or what not to do, what is acceptable and what is not and so on. I suppose meeting in person means being able to sit across each other, observe the body language, probe, prompt and guide....after all, the research is all about something that has to be scientifically carried out. Not easy, but not impossible. And yes... research is a scientific investigation, quantitatively or qualitatively.

I felt more satisfied after each of the interactions I had with our MEd researchers. I could see where they were struggling and why. I can now understand why it took them so long to submit anything written to me. After all, completing the research to fulfill the requirements of the Masters or PhD programme is not easy. This is their first real research. The learning curve is quite steep. Taking just one research course is not enough. You have to read more on your own.

I would have felt just as "lost" had I been in their shoes. In addition to that, being an ODL learner is not easy. Doing research almost 2,ooo miles away from your supervisor is one of the greatest challenges one will face! I'm not sure if I would be able to cope with it myself. Hence, I admire all those who are trying their best to complete their research. Really!

The last stage of completing the requirements for a Masters or Ph.D. degree is always the most challenging. That's why we have ABD (All But Dissertation) students at one point or another.

I remember, even though this was more than 20 years ago when I was at the dissertation stage, I felt quite alone and at times "betrayed" when my supervisors did not seem to be able to give me the support I needed or who only gave me so much time. However, I was quick to realise that "it was up to me to complete the job." No one else will and no one else can. It is your own battle. Either fight or lose it.

Hence, my advice to all my supervisees out there . . . it is up to you. If finishing your Masters or Ph.D. is important to you, focus, focus, focus. Set deadlines and put time aside. Organise yourself. Manage your time. Get rid of all the distractions. Read, read and read all you can about what you want to investigate. Aim to be the one person who knows everything about the problem being investigated....exhaust your reading. There's never too much to read. You need to be able to depend on yourself. You can receive guidance from your supervisor, moral support from friends and family, but only you alone can determine your own success.

Anyway, after having sat down with LKC and LSH for almost four hours straight and for almost two hours with RS, I could not help feeling happy for them to see them feeling more assured and surer of how to move on in their research. They each said that a lot of issues were ironed out.

So imagine my delight knowing that they now can "see the light at the end of the tunnel," so to speak. I wish each of them the best. They've invested their time and several thousand dollars to seek a graduate education. I don't want to see these go to waste!

No comments: